Once a weekend every year we go to the Great Lakes Medieval Faire. I have been going since I was a kid and dragging people with me since I have been an adult. P.S. if you drag them once, you never have to drag them again. Seriously. I spend so much time convincing people to come then I ever should. And once they go they love it! Then I start getting phone calls and texts every summer asking when we are panning to go. One of our best friends even moved part of his CPA exams this year to later in the month so he didn’t have to study the weekend we went!
It is pretty much tradition. The only things that haven’t changed are the fact that I still go with my family, and we still see the same shows. My mom gets a gigantic turkey leg, and we all drink a little bit more than we anticipate and start talking in some sort of broken attempt at old english. However, this year was a bit different. I was definitely not drinking, and we saw all new shows. I wanted to start exploring a different side of the faire. With Jax now old enough to start enjoying it himself it was so much fun to visit the kids side again and see him go crazy. Not to mention it reminded me of when my brother and I were kids and we used to dress up and run around.
Last year when we came we had decided our red solo cups just weren’t cutting it anymore and opted to buy some mugs to fit in a bit more and give us some medieval flare. So in the spirit of adding to our “costume” I decided that this year Jax NEEDED a tail, and one for me too of course. At this rate in a few years you may not be able to pick us out from spectators or actors…. But for the time being just a little piece is perfect. So Friday night with t minus 12 hours until we had to be out of the house I decided I needed these tails. Luckily, they were VERY fast. Or else I would have been even more tired than I already was after walking for 9 hours straight with swollen feet (another pregnancy symptom I never got with Jaxon and definitely didn’t anticipate).
To make a tail for Jax and myself we used 1/4 yard of fabric (There was enough left over for another little tail too) and velcro (you could use a safety-pin instead if you like.